Thursday, December 01, 2005

i can see this

Highest in central america, and a volcanoe.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a beef with Survivor Guatemala. It's so freaking contrived they could just as well lock people in a studio for 3 months with a bunch of fake palm trees and no showers. The producers spend an obscene amount of money to make these people "suffer" for a million dollars in a country where most people suffer for free. I'd like to see the winner give the money to a group that could do some good for the country. As a side note...they are filming/camping out on some of the Mayan ruins. It's tacky and pretentious if you ask me.

Discuss.

Berne said...

so I'm a bragger huh?

Jake said...

of course you're a bragger berne. i thought we spent the last year trying to establish this.

Jake said...

i haven't seen survivor guatemala, let alone much of any survivor. however, i think it would be nice if they devoted some of their time bringing to light how life is in these countries.

Anonymous said...

Amen to anonymous' comments. I've only seen the show once. I could not believe when I heard they were going to be filming in Mayan ruins, it seems so disrespectful. I think it's sad, and from what I've seen/heard, they are not showing Guat in the best light. We brought Azaleah to the doctor about a month ago and he asked (again) where she was from. We said, "she was born in Guatemala." and he said, "And of course you would never want to go back there." I was surprised and confused and said, "Oh no, we would love to go back and visit, it's a beautiful country." (We did not get to see much of the country during our short stay and want to go back when Aza'a a little older.) To which he replied, "you mean it's not just all crocodiles and snakes?" I could not believe that an "educated" man would say something like that, especially when there's someone from that country right there in the room. ARGH! What a nerd. I assume he's been watching a little too much TV. I do hope that the country will in some way benefit though. Maybe tourism will increase, I don't know. ~Sara Lott

Anonymous said...

Sara Lott - Good point, yes, but I would appreciate it if you watch how you throw around the word 'nerd'. You know, some of us are hurt when it is used in such a context.
jdo