Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Jacob Overgaard is currently on sebatical, writing a novel.




Ok, seriously though, I know it's been a long time, and i'm writing no novel (i like the way "no novel" sounds, imagine me yelling it!, then it makes sense).

Here are some updates...
-We had a huge 4th of July celebration down here, hamburgers, hot dogs, potato salad, baked beans, brownies, chex mix, and some beers. We had an open mic too, someone sang the star spangled banner, folsom prison blues, an original rap (silly but funny), and there was some irish music and dancing. It all finished with a giant dance party. Yay America!

-i just planned and executed some "in-service trainings" for the volunteers that I supervise, went pretty well, i think they were happy. Logisitics are, in general, difficult. Logisitics in the third world are...

-i am nearing the point of being the most veteran (and hence wisest) current volunteer down here, there are but two of us left, within the month folks

-I saw a white dude driving a chickenbus, equally as insane of a driver. i've never stared so hard at someone. blew my mind.

-it's raining a whole lot. clothes are not drying. jeans are dirty. luckily, i'm in the Peace Corps, so not such a big deal. I think half the reason i stayed down here was so that i can continue sporting jeans, boots, t-shirts, and sideburns to work. corporate dress codes are frightening to me

-we are currently 2 months and 8 days away from the Guatemalan Independance Day. The school next to our office has already started their band practices. This happens outside. There are a lot of bells, horns, and percussionists. normal class seems to have been postponed. noise canceling head phones

-basketball tournament. we made it to the championship game. it was the stuff of legend. we lost. were winning for 3 quarters, ended up losing by five. heck of a game though. the community really showed up. there were at least 200 people watching the game. I think i had 9 points to include a 3 pointer and a pretty sweet tip-in. super fun game. They gave us trophies, i have this really big obnoxious one. the team told me i had to take it as a memory of Sta. Lucia. nice gesture, however, I couldn't help but think "now i have to pack this at some time to bring home"

-you have a nice day

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should write a novel. You could call it "kick ___ in the ____" i'll let you fill in the blanks.
jdo

Anonymous said...

josh, face

Anonymous said...

How did you know?
jdo