Sunday, October 09, 2005

Hurricane Stan

So, as a lot of you know, there was a hurricane that hit guatemala. The hurricane has caused a lot of damage, and there's a lot of deaths and people without homes. It may very well affect my service as a PCV; people may not be very interested in growing some vegetables if they haven't a home. And that's ok, Peace Corps is HUGE on telling its volunteers to be flexible, and that's cool with me. Maybe i'll get to build houses, who knows?

Those of us who are in Peace Corps training were not affected very much. It rained for almost a week straight, while we were on what was supposed to be field based training. We ended up spending the week in a hotel (we were away from where we have usual training, the plan was to visit a lot of volunteer sights, some in areas that were very hurt by the hurricane) without power or water for the majority of the time. But I really can't complain, there are many in guatemala that have it much much much much much worse than we did. It rained more yesterday, and is raining off and on today, i think because of all the humidity in the air, there's kind of a positive feedback loop going on. There's a lot of roads that are out. Many many landslides, one actually prevented us from getting to one of the sites, and it was good that it did, it was a badly affected area.

I put some links up to two of Guatemala's newspapers, there should be some pictures there.

Hurricane Stan Includes a slide show

Anyways, that's about it

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you're doing okay. Hurricanes aren't much fun. After being in Mississippi during Huricane Katrina I can kind of understand what is going on down there. However, there were no mudslides in Miss. or Louisiana, so I'm sure it's more of a mess where you are. Either way, hurricanes still aren't any fun. Take care. :-)

Berne said...

Hey Jakeus-

Glad to hear that you are OK. We don't want anything happening to you down there...stay safe. Sounds like a hell of a storm.

I see you took my advice on the word verification. I'm pretty damn smart about blogs, aren't I? And yes, I'm bragging...but you aren't here to tease me about it. HaHaHa!!

-Bernicus