Sunday, November 20, 2005
Gringo
So, guatemala is largely a homogenous society. People are either ladino or indigenous. in consequence, when you have blonde hair, blue eyes and white skin, you stand out. and, i would imagine, if i lived in rural guatemala and was Guatemelan, and saw someone like me, i would be really really surprised. and so, what often happens in this case, is they say "Gringo". I don't think it's an insult. I just think they find it strange to see us, and the point it out. kids do it a lot. so do drunks (which surprisingly often know the most english for some reason).
3 comments:
jake, dont forget that kids and drunks and most everyone else used to point and laugh when you were home, too. ever think that maybe it isn't your skin or hair? just remember, you are beautiful on the inside. er...
jdo
LOL...I pointed and laughed at you on a daily basis, remember? Only "Gringo" wasn't the word...
And then you'd make me feel bad for insulting you, and if you were lucky you'd get a hug out of the deal.
Yeah, I think you just liked being hugged.
berne, i'm not sure the hugs had anything to do with luck. nicole, i haven't received the card yet, mail is a little slow.
josh, thanks.
peace
Post a Comment